1600 Jerry Clower Blvd.
Yazoo City, MS 39194
Phone: (662) 746-6444
Fax: (662) 746-6448
Visit the legendary "Witch of Yazoo" grave while at this cemetery that also holds the mass grave of unknown Confederate soldiers killed in the Battle of Benton Road. Willie Morris and John Hancock's children are also buried here. Guided and dramatized tours of Glenwood Cemetery are held annually.
The first African-American Baptist congregation in Yazoo City, this church was built in 1870 and features stained glass windows, a magnificent stairway, and a balcony with Gothic lettering.
Resembling the famous sunken Old Natchez Trace, this historic road has been used since the 1820's and was widely used during the Civil War period.
A monument commemorating the role of Confederate women during the Civil War.
The oldest library building in the state. Mrs. B.S. Rick's donated $20,000 to construct the library in memory of her husband. The interior features a marble foyer with gold leaf ceiling and a stained glass skylight.
Possibly the oldest remaining house in Yazoo City, although much altered in its present form. The windows and siding of the present structure are replacements of around 1900, but two original windows with blinds remain, relocated to the attic gables. The in-set porch probably had rectangular section box columns, at some time replaced by the present turned-Victorian colonettes.
Formed in August 15, 1841, some of the current members are descended from the original seven founders. After the 1904 fire, the present church was built in 1905. The beautiful sanctuary seats 365 in "theater" seats rather than conventional pews. If needed, 600 can be seated by mechanically raising a wall, which divides the sanctuary and chapel areas.
First Methodist services were held in Yazoo City as early as 1828. In 1889, a beautiful brick church was built on the site of the present church. This building was destroyed in the fire of 1904. Through heroic efforts of its members, the present main structure of the church was completed in 1908.
This house was originally three stories with two additional wings off the back. This late Victorian structure featured an ornate staircase built in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and shipped by barge to Yazoo City. The woodwork of the parlor, library, and entrance hall are walnut, cherry and oak respectively and still bear scars of the two fires which badly damaged the structure at the turn of the century. One wing and the third floor were beyond repair. Remodeled again in 1973, the fa
Organized in 1851, the first church of St. Mary Catholic Church was a small white wooden framed building that was completed around 1856, at the church's present location. Two brick churches have been erected at this site since then. The existing church was erected in 1907. Beautiful stained glass windows and intricate work and design can be found in this historical church.
This three-story, hip roof stuccoed brick structure was completed at a cost of $65,000. The building replaced an 1849 Greek Revival structure; designed by William Nichols (architect of the Mississippi Governor's Mansion), that was burned in 1864 by Union soldiers. An octagonal cupola housing the town clock is a noticeable feature of this Beaux-Arts Classicism building.
Guides and tours are available so that you may see this beautiful church that still has many of its original features. This was the first brick church to be erected by blacks in the state of Mississippi. The pulpit furniture and the bell and bell tower are part of the original church structure.