280 Lithia Road
Wytheville, VA 24382
Phone: (276) 228-5525
Fax: (276) 228-5010
280 Lithia Road, Wytheville, VA, US, 24382
- Phone: (276) 228-5525
- Fax: (276) 228-5010
This historic house museum was the home of Wytheville's first resident physician, Dr. John Haller. The collection in the house includes period furnishings, personal mementos, medical records and supplies from the 1800's, and a small museum of local artifacts. There is also an herb garden with plants typically grown in the 19th century on the property.
Situated on a scenic byway, this lovely 50 acre offers an array of recreational features on site for visitors to enjoy, such as a campground, miniature golf course, children's playground, numerous nature trails, and a trout stream.
A haven for herb gardeners and nature lovers alike, this property shares the farm with bear, deer, turkey, rabbits, and countless bird species, and they grow organic garlic and herbs for their line of products, including herbal vinegars and seasonings. The herbal bath product line contains a full line of soaps, bath gels, herbal salts, and soaks which cleanse the body and rejuvenate the soul.
At the half-way point of the Big Walker National Scenic Byway, a 100-foot tower at this lookout affords a spectacular view of patchwork farm valleys to the north and unspoiled mountain wilderness to the south. Facilities include a craft/gift shop and deli-style sandwich and ice cream shop where you can snack while overlooking panoramic splendor.
Passing through national forest and private land, this 16-mile stretch showcases mountain vistas, historic farm homesteads, and tree-lined forest lanes through all four seasons.
The 5,609 acres that comprise this area are some of the most remote in the Jefferson National Forest. Topography is rugged and steep and there are no improved roads to the wilderness boundary. The Appalachian Trail borders the southern edge of the area and provides hiker access. Roaring Fork Creek, which crosses the area, is a native trout stream.
Virginia's only linear state park, this park follows an abandoned railroad line through tunnels, over bridges, and along the New River from downtown Pulaski to Galax. The trail is 57 miles long and parallels the New River for 29 miles, providing excellent water activities. The park is also excellent for hiking, horseback riding, and bicycling.
Nestled within the Shot Tower Historical Park, the Jackson Ferry Shot Tower is a shot tower that was utilized to manufacture lead shots to load firearms. Included in the National Register of Historic Places, this landmark can be accessed by tourists along with the surrounding grounds.
A 57-mile long state park that follows an abandoned railroad right-of-way, this park features an array of amenities, including five campgrounds in different locations with different types of sites, freshwater fishing, jonboat and canoe rentals, interpretive programs, a children's playground, picnic area, and hiking, bicycle, and bridle trails.
Constructed of Peak Creek Sandstone, this historic courthouse combines elements of the Richardsonian Romanesque and Queen Anne styles of architecture. The clock and the belfry were added in 1911 and the courthouse is home to the New River Heritage Exhibits, an historical museum containing artifacts and geological specimens discovered in the County of Pulaski. Guided tours are available on the first Saturday of each month.
Originally built as a vaudeville house, converted into a dry goods store during the depression, and revived as a movie house in 1937, this theater has been a cornerstone of Downtown Pulaski. The Friends of The Pulaski Theater, a not-for-profit citizens' organization, is restoring this theater in the hopes of bringing motion pictures back to downtown, as well as using the theater as a place for music and small theater performances and for civic gatherings and events.
Donated to the town by the N&W Railroad, the east end of the park features a statue dedicated to Confederate soldiers, placed by the town in 1917. A gazebo which is the site for summer concerts is also on site, as well as an original fountain, Civil War and World War I cannons, and a memorial.