1943 Garfield Ave.
West Liberty, IA 52776-9034
Phone: (319) 627-2171
Fax: (319) 627-4982
The Herbert Hoover National Historic Site in West Branch is a government site in honor of Herbert Hoover, the 31st president of the United States. The site comprises of a small cottage which was his birthplace, the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum, the Quaker meetinghouse of the Hoover family as well as the gravestones of Mr. And Mrs. Hoover. The site also has two picnic shelters to be used by visitors. A guided tour through this site will give much insight into the life of the only president from Iowa till date.
Located in West Branch, the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum is dedicated to Herbert Hoover, the 31 st president of the United States. It sits on the Herbert Hoover National Historic Site and has an extensive collection of books from the life and times of only president from Iowa. Spread over an area of 44,500 square feet, it has an auditorium, a conference room and a private meeting room. It also has a permanent gallery exhibiting artifacts from the life of the president as well as another gallery with temporary exhibits of American history. Guided tours of the facility are available. Check the website for more information.
The Secrest Octagonal Barn is a monumental site that dates back to the 1800s era. Included in the National Register of Historic Places, this well-preserved barn welcomes visitors.
Located to the north of Tipton, Red Oak Grove Presbyterian Church and Cemetery is a Christian site that has served the people of Tipton, for over 100 years. The ten-acre (4.04 hectare) site of the church and cemetery is nestled between Oak Park Golf & Recreation and the Red Oak Park. In 2010, the church and cemetery were added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The year 1901 marked the establishment of the prominent Johnson County Courthouse in Johnson County, Iowa. It was only the second courthouse to be built in the area. The beauty of the site is enhanced by the stellar sandstone carvings on its exterior. The interiors of the courthouse structure is embellished with magnificent stained-glass domes. While most 19th-century courthouses have undergone modernization, a prime feature with the Johnson County Courthouse is that it has retained much of its original state inflating the ancient artistic value. It was added to the prestigious National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The celebrated site of Pentacrest is a set of five buildings nestled within the sprawling campus of University of Iowa. The Old Capital, Jessup Hall, Macbride Hall, MacLean Hall and Schaeffer Hall together form the Pentacrest.
The Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church is a significant church that serves the Solon region of Iowa. Included in the National Register of Historic Places, this church was completely constructed in 1916. This historical church continues to strive for the community and even offers rental facilities for wedding receptions.
The esteemed First Presbyterian Church is sited at Muscatine in Iowa. Accurately located at Iowa Avenue, it has adapted the Gothic Revival style of architecture. The noted monumental site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Muscatine County was set up in 1837, but it took more than 60 years to get its own courthouse. Located in the heart of Muscatine city, the Muscatine County Courthouse was established in 1909. Muscatine County Courthouse was designed in the Beaux Arts style, by architects J.W. McAlpine and J.E. Mills. This courthouse is the third one to be built on the same ground that housed the former two. Spread across three floors, the front facade features elegant columns, with a clock tower perched on top.
Beautiful and grand, a look at King Memorial Chapel is enough to mesmerize you. Completed in 1882, and since 1976 listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this 130-foot (39-meter) high chapel started out in uncertainty. Mid-way, with half-done walls, the contractor went bankrupt. The financial burden was so huge that the college had to be mortgaged to pay off the bills. The faculty turned out to be the saving grace who contributed their salary. By 1882, the college was free of debt and ready to finish the building. The main auditorium, which seats up to 800 people, is where students gather every day. It has a Moller organ with 3800 pipes and is the venue for several musical performances.
Star Trek, most certainly put Riverside, IA on the map. As per the epic, James Tiberius Kirk (portrayed by William Shatner) is supposed to be born here, on 22nd March, 2233, and although there are still several decades to pass until that day arrives, people of Riverside lost no time celebrating the prophecy. Apart from a popular gift shop dedicated to Captain Kirk and Star Trek, the town also proudly bears a marker that commemorates the future birthplace of the popular character. Located on First Street, right behind the New Image Salon, the marker is where you'll find many a Star Trek fans clicking away to glory. If you're a fan, this place is worth a detour.
The Ely School House is a Tudor Revival Style building. This historic structure served as a school building and now is a community center for the town. It features various offices, city council chambers, meeting rooms, dinning facilities, etc.