El Presidio Park
160 West Alameda Street
Tucson, AZ 85701
+1 520 791 4873
In 1775, the Spanish army staked its claim to this land (now the state of Arizona) by building the fortress, or presidio, which would soon become the center of Tucson. Both the Spanish and the fortress are long gone now, and all that's left of the presidio is a plaque reminding visitors of the events hundreds of years ago. It's a park now, used for fiestas and other celebrations, surrounded by tall 1970s style office buildings. There's not much history left here aside from the Pima County Courthouse
, but it's still a nice place to rest and enjoy a picnic lunch in the shade.