226 North Washington Street
Sumter, SC 29150
Phone: (803) 775-2323
Fax: (803) 773-9500
Temple Sinai is located at Sumter, South Carolina. This historic synagogue is also referred to as Congregation Sinai has adapted Moorish Revival style of architecture. It was incorporated in the National Registrar of Historic Places in 1999.
The Sumter County Library is open all week for research and reading pleasure wants and needs.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and a symbol of the character and nature of Sumter itself, the Sumter Opera House is a palatial architectural treasure that is recognizable for its upward reaching clock tower and excellent stone work. The interior includes a six-hundred-seat auditorium, receptions and meeting rooms, and a number of city offices are housed; one can make arrangements in advance for tours of the treasured building.
Memorial Park is open to the public and includes tennis courts among it attractions.
What began as a fishing lake only for an elite businessman, Swan Lake-Iris Gardens is a garden open to the public today. This park has eight species of swan known which makes it the only park to have them in the United States. The lake has many colorful islands and a wide collection of flowers. The garden is known for its Japanese Iris plantations that blossom in the month of May until June every year. The visually impaired can walk along the Braille trail which offers them scents and sensations of the garden. The Butterfly Garden and Chocolate Garden are sights that cannot be missed.
Riley Park is host to baseball games, wrestling matches, concerts, and many other events and activities.
This park features baseball fields, tennis courts, picnic grounds, and a playground.
One may enjoy the baseball fields, tennis courts, an amphitheatre, a playground and a picnic area at this park.
The Sumter region of the U.S. State of South Carolina is bestowed with a splendid church site in the form of the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church. This historically significant church is a Presbyterian church building that dates back to the 1840s era. It finely exemplifies the Greek Revival style of architecture and has been included in the National Register of Historic Places.
Constructed in 1908, the Lee County Courthouse is situated in Bishopville and was built six years following the incorporation of the county. It was planned that there be a Neo-Classical design replete with ethnic stone and yellow brick construction that is a result of the Roman pattern both in case of the law and architecture. It is historically-significant for being the only courthouse the county has ever had. Its grounds are encompassed with a mountain cannon, a Civil War memorial and a flagpole.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this magnificent Italianate Revival-style mansion is owned by International Paper and is furnished with the Scarborough-Hamer Collection of decorative arts and fine furniture from the Victorian Period, 1830 to 1901. Tours are available every Friday and Saturday.