6755 Cote de Liesse
St. Laurent, QC H4T 1E5
Phone: (514) 735-5702
Fax: (514) 340-9278
6755 Cote de Liesse, St. Laurent, QC, CA, H4T 1E5
- Phone: (514) 735-5702
- Fax: (514) 340-9278
One of the foremost Jewish cemeteries in the city, the Baron de Hirsch Cemetery was established in 1905. This is the final resting place of many notable Canadian personalities, authors and so forth.
The Ben Weider Jewish Community Center (JCC) is home to the Montreal wing of the Young Men and Young Women's Hebrew Association (YM-YWHA). It is primarily meant to preserve the integrity and cultural heritage of the Jewish community. To this end the YM-YWHA organizes a variety of events at the JCC. Grand Raffles, sports training, Israel festivals and Health courses for everyone. Apart from these, the YM-YWHA holds Folk dance festivals too, to promote Jewish culture in Montreal.
Bois-de-Liesse Nature Park is famous for its old growth hardwood forest, tremendous array of wild flowers and all sorts of wildlife both terrestrial and aquatic. There are trails along peaceful streams, and canoeing is also available. In winter there is cross-country skiing and snowshoeing, with several chalets along the way where you can warm up any cold extremities. The interpretation center offers a picnic grounds and an open air base for kids. Children will get a kick out of watching black-capped chickadees and hairy woodpeckers vie for food at the bird-feeding stations.
L'oratoire St Joseph du Mont Royal (St. Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal) is recognized as one of the great spiritual centers of the world and attracts more than two million visitors a year. Many are simply curious, but some pilgrims climb the steps of the Oratory on their knees, hoping that God will answer their prayers. The Oratory's magnificent copper dome, which can be seen for several kilometers around, is second in size only to St. Peter's. Inside, it contains a basilica, the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrement, Brother André's tomb and two museums in his honor.
The Lachine Canal was one of the most important waterways in Canadian history. Its construction, between 1825 and 1873, allowed expanded navigation into the St Lawrence River and facilitated Montreal's continued expansion. Nowadays the main attraction is the delightful cycle, walking and inline skating path leading from Lachine right into the Downtown area. An interpretive center offers a permanent exhibit outlining the phases of the canal's construction and history.
Enjoy a day outdoors at the Parc Berthiaume-du-Tremblay in Laval. The park offers picnic areas, playgrounds as well as a swimming pool for sports enthusiasts. It also has a tennis court, soccer and baseball stadiums.
The War Memorial of Montreal West pays a tribute to the valiant soldiers who lost their lives in the Great War as well as World War I & II.
The École Polytechnique de Montréal, also known as the Montreal Polytechnic, provides graduation, post-graduation and advanced research programs in the field of engineering. It is one of the largest engineering schools of the country and is known to produce the best talents. It is affiliated to the University of Montreal. Its main branches include biotechnology, artificial intelligence, nanotechnology and aeronautics.
Located on the north side of the mountain and just across from the Protestant Mount Royal Cemetery, this is one of the largest cemeteries in North America. It offers sheltered trails and even regular bird-watching tours. Some of Montreal's most illustrious writers, politicians and other notables are buried here, including poet Émile Nelligan, Calixa Lavallée, composer of Canada's national anthem, and George-Étienne Cartier, one of the fathers of confederation. Many historic chapels and buildings dot the grounds.
As the name suggests, the École de musique Vincent-d'Indy is a college offering courses in the field of music and other specializations.
This former railway station served the city till 1984, and is now no longer utilized. The likes of Prime Minister William Lyon MacKenzie King, George VI have paid a visit to this station in 1939.
This affluent borough of the city of Montreal mostly comprises French-Canadian and Hasidic Jewish communities.