1780 Industrial Park Drive
Selma, NC 27576
Phone: (919) 965-3716
Fax: (919) 965-7233
1780 Industrial Park Drive Building A, Selma, NC, US, 27576
- Phone: (919) 965-3716
- Fax: (919) 965-7233
Clemmons Educational State Forest managed by the North Carolina Forest Service aims to provide ecological education through exhibits, self-guided trails and classes conducted by Rangers.
Visitors are allowed to walk on the fields where 80,000 Union and Confederate soldiers fought one of the last major battles of the Civil War at this historic site that also contains the Harper House, an improvised hospital where both sides were treated. A visitor center is also on site that contains exhibits and artifacts from the battlefields.
The Walnut Hill Historic District is a 157 acre (64 hectares) historic area comprising of 40 residential structures. The district shows a mix of Victorian and Gothic Revival styles of architecture. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000 because of its historical importance.
Established in 1880 by the state for black citizens with mental illnesses, this hospital was renamed in 1959 after Governor R. Gregg Cherry and was open to all races beginning in 1965. The on-site museum contains over a century of photographs, log books, and medical and farming equipment once used at the hospital.
The Walnut Hill Cotton Gin is a historic structure built around 1848. Previously home to a cotton gin machine, it is today used as a residence by architect Jim Smith, who is also responsible for restoring the building. It is well known for being one of the few remaining cotton gin houses in North Carolina. It became a part of the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Located on the site of an earlier courthouse that was built in 1850, this beautiful courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and features a memorial to World War I soldiers on its grounds, as well as a marker denoting the execution of John Lawson by Indians in 1710.
The mid-19th century boyhood farmstead home of North Carolina's "Educational Governor" Charles B. Aycock is located at this historic site that also includes an 1883 one room school house and a visitor center. Guided tours are available with advance registration.
A historically significant cemetery, this cemetery features a Confederate monument that was erected in 1883 and contains the mass grave of 800 Civil War soldiers beneath it. The Jewish portion of the cemetery contains the graves of some of Goldsboro's most prominent citizens.