Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
1441 Manawagonish Rd.
Saint John, NB E2M 3X8
Phone: (506) 635-8700
Fax: (506) 672-8853
The Irving Nature Park is a huge attraction in the city of Saint John. People come here to bike, hike, walk or just come to commune with nature. For further details, do visit their website.
The Reversing Falls as the name suggests, are an intriguing spectacle for many tourists and locals. These series of falls are located on the Saint John River by the Bay of Fundy. The recurring tides of the bay, force the water to turn against the normal location, causing the water to flow in the opposite direction. The falls were an important industrial site with mills, a foundry and a railway bridge surrounding them. Jet boat rides were also offered but had to be discontinued to the rough areas. You can catch a small film presentation here on the phenomenon of the Falls. The sight is worth a watch!
The Carleton Martello Tower is a small defensive fort built in 1813. It is one of the nine Martello's that have survived in the country. This magnificent structure was marked as a National Historic Site of Canada in 1930, owing to its rich historic value. Today, the site is open to public for exploring. Guided tours of the site are available for better understanding of its history. Various programs and events are also conducted to keep visitors entertained. One can expect to go picnicking or try their hand at photography at this spectacular location.
Built by French officer Charles Deschamps de Boishébert, the Fort Menagoueche was established in 1751. Located at the mouth of River St. John, this magnificent fort was built during the time of Father Le Loutre's War. The fort was demolished by the officer himself and was late reconstructed by the British as Fort Frederick. The site of these forts was marked as National Historic Site of Canada in 1923 owing to its high historic value.
Located to the south of Saint John, Partridge Island is a beautiful piece of land surrounded by the waters of the Bay of Fundy. The island was the home of the Passamaquoddy, especially the Mi'kmaq people. Colonization of this land began in the late 18th Century, when a quarantine station and pest house was set up here. With the establishment of a hospital in 1830, Partridge Island saw various foreigners settling here. The island is home to magnificent forts and a towering lighthouse. A small museum was located on the island, to which regular boat tours were conducted, until the museum ceased functioning in 1995.
The largest city of New Brunswick, Saint John is located on the Bay of Fundy and was the first city of Canada. This charming harbor city offers picturesque vistas and is noted for its marine life. The Uptown has a vintage allure to it with its Victorian buildings, brick pathways, classic lamp posts and old churches. Don't miss to see the Reversing Rapids when Fundy's extreme tides reverses the river's direction. There are many sites to visit in this lovely city and your days will be packed with exploration. From adventure junkies to sports enthusiasts, there is something for everyone here.
The Loyalist house at the heart of the city is a Georgian structure built in the year 1817. The house belonged to the Merritt family and in 1959 was acquired by New Brunswick Historical Society. A visit to the house would take you through the elegant decor of the house designed by local artisans.
Established in 1848, the Fernhill Cemetery was earlier known as the Rural Cemetery. With an area of 200 acres (80.93 hectares), the cemetery remains the final resting place of the World War veterans. It is also the burial site of a Canadian who received the Medal of Honor. The cemetery still continues to function and accepts requests for burials and funerals. A self-guided walking tour of the cemetery is available.
One of the city's best multi-purpose recreational area, Rockwood Park covers a large expanse of forest land. Sprawled across the lush park are lakes, golf courses and the zoo. A great location for nature enthusiasts, hikers, photographers and others, the park is speckled with people enjoying the serenity. Designed by Calvert Vaux, the park is also the venue for events like the World Speedskating Championships and also the Marathon by the sea. Check their website for more details.
Originally called as Fort Nerepis, the Fort Boishebert has its roots dating back to an aboriginal village. The fort was abandoned in 1751, but is now open to visitors for exploring. The fort is marked as a National Historic Site of Canada owing to its rich historic value. The site has regular guided and group tours for better understanding of its history.
Located in Saint John's Grand Bay-Westfield neighborhood, Belyea's Point Light is a historic lighthouse. Established in 1881, this lighthouse began functioning a year later from June 1, 1882. Belyea's Point Light stands at a height of 11 meters (36 feet). This lighthouse gets its name from Spafford Barker Belyea, its first keeper, and an early settler of the area, Hendrick Belyea.