511 James F. Taylor Drive
Ridgeland, SC 29936
Phone: (843) 726-6213
Fax: (843) 726-6452
Church of the Holy Trinity is a historic church built way back in 1858 with a Carpenter Gothic style of architecture. The modest structure and the intricate details of the building give a feel of the ancient era. The church has been in function from its birth and continues the legacy by holding services till date. Apart from the regular masses, many events and programs are held to bring the community closer.
Designed in the Colonial Revival style of architecture, the Jasper County Courthhouse that was built in the year 1915. The county was used for various purposes and council meetings too. The county had a beautiful entrance with a twp bay on the facade and the traingular shaped design on the top. This county was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the year 1981.
Located a few miles west of Beaufort off US Highway 17, this magnificent 1757 Greek Revival-style church was originally called Prince William Church Parish. Although only the ruins remain after being burned during the Revolutionary War and again in the Civil War by William Tecumseh Sherman in his "March to the Sea", it is a popular historic landmark and travel destination for great photographs. Many weddings and special events are held here among the beautiful tall columns of the church, ancient oak trees and grave sites. A church service is held the second Sunday after Easter. Open dawn till dusk daily. Admission is free. There are no facilities available.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, this 33-acre cemetery has historical significance as the resting place for Confederate and Union soldiers who died during Civil War. It was originally a cemetery for men who died in Union hospitals when Beaufort was occupied during that war. Abraham Lincoln's National Cemetery Act in 1863 made it a National Cemetery. Also interred here are several Medal of Honor Recipients and others from every conflict the United States participated in. It is designed in the shape of a half-circle and the roads are the wheel spokes. Visitors can drive through at the entrance to view the monuments and memorials from Boundary Street. The cemetery is open from 8a to sunset daily. - Natasha Lawrence
Tabby Manse is located at Beaufort, South Carolina. This building was built in 1786 and is also referred to as Thomas Fuller House. It was added to the National Registrar of Historic Places on May 14, 1971.
Founded in 1712 and completed in 1724, this Episcopal church is one of the oldest churches in the US that has existed continuously, providing services despite disruptions due to wars and natural disasters. It was occupied by Union soldiers at the beginning of the Civil War in 1861 and converted into a hospital. It features an organ with 1150 pipes. The cemetery adjacent to the church contains the grave sites of many historic figures, such as Colonel John Barnwell who fought in the Indian Wars and was a founder of Beaufort Town; Thomas Heyward, Jr., a signer of the Declaration of Independence; and two British officers who died in the Battle of Port Royal. Visitors are welcome to tour the church, gardens and cemetery or attend services. The Parish Bookstore offers books and guides on church history and Christian cards and gifts. Hours vary by season; check the website. Office hours are 9a to 4:30p. -Natasha Lawrence
Once a hospital during the Civil War when its flat tombstones became operating tables, this historic 18th century church features a wooden altar that was carved by the crew of the USS New Hampshire which was stationed nearby during the Reconstruction. The church is open daily and tours are available.
Located along the Beaufort River, Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park is a popular place to relax and unwind for individuals as well as families. Rest under the cool shade of the trees and breathe in the breeze from the river here. Enjoy the sight of blooming flowers or watch a performance or organize a picnic with your family at this park. Shrimp Festival, Water Festival, Gullah Festival are popular events held at this venue.
Within a short walking distance of a number of notable dining establishments, this full service marina offers boat docks and slips, fuel, and a ship's store. A courtesy car is also available.
A jewel among early 19th-century homes in Beaufort, this four-story Federal style mansion was built in 1795 by a French Huguenot using shipbuilding methods. Each room has a fireplace with a finely carved ornamental mantle. Listed in the National Register, it was used as headquarters for Union troops during the Civil War. Until it came under the wings of the Beaufort Historic Foundation in 1971, the house was used for a variety of businesses. Located across the street from Waterfront Park, it is the only architecturally historic home that is open to the public as a museum. It is sometimes called the Lafayette House because the Revolutionary War hero stayed there. Docent tours are given every half hour. Metered street or park parking is available. -Natasha Lawrence
Constructed of brick and tabby, enlarged, modified and repaired over two centuries, this historic landmark has been involved in the Revolutionary War, the Civil War and the 1861 Battle of Port Royal, and has been connected with the Yemassee Indians, Spaniards and pirates. It has housed the Beaufort Volunteer Artillery, the National Guard, the Historic Beaufort Foundation, the Beaufort County Historical Society and today, the Beaufort Visitor Center. The museum features relics, two 1779 British guns, uniforms, letters, photos and weapons exhibits such as World War I hand grenades, Confederate sabers and a 1915 machine gun. It also tells the story of the Sea Islands, which was important to the development of Beaufort. A visit to the Arsenal museum will also take you to the Visitor Center that provides guide books, maps of Beaufort, souvenirs and tour assistance. The museum and Visitor Center is closed on Wednesday and Sunday. There is no admission charge to the museum, but donations are welcome. -Natasha Lawrence
Built in 1865 as the Civil War ended by freed slaves in a coastal vernacular architectural style, this African-American "Prayer House" was given other freed slaves. Located in the historic district of Beaufort, it was used as a church, meeting hall and community center. In addition to weekly worship services, visitors are welcome to tour the church and attend musical events and concerts held here. The Hallelujah Singers, a local Gullah group that sings spirituals, perform here. Church office hours can vary, so be sure to call for more information, visiting and tour hours. - Natasha Lawrence