3190 Lancaster Hwy
Richburg, SC 29729
Phone: (803) 789-3000
Fax: (803) 789-3013
This entrance to Rock Hill includes four 13-foot statues called "Civitas" and two 60-foot historic Egyptian columns.
Peer into the past as you take a step back in time at this village, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) from Charlotte. A battlesite of the Revolutionary War, the area features structures from the past couple of centuries. Chronologies of the Carolina Piedmont development from 1750 onwards are available for all to see. This is a good place to bring the kids, where they can learn about the lives of the early pilgrims and their work in the southern plantations. The site also doubles as a venue; each Saturday from March to November, witness costumed plays, while a number of events portraying days on the farm and the frontline occur throughout the year. Exhibits on early medicine and other themes are also hosted here. Check the website for admission rates and upcoming schedules.
The eminent First Presbyterian Church in Rock Hill was constructed in 1894. Primly sited at 234 E. Main Street, it is a historic Presbyterian Church building. It is spread over 1.8 acres (0.73 hectares) of land area. The church building and structure is a fine representation of the Late Victorian style of architecture. The historically significant Church is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Sunday school, worship services, Bible study and various other programs are vital initiatives striven by the church.
Located in the heart of the city, Mount Prospect Baptist Church is one of the oldest places of worship in the city. Though it's current building dates back to 1915, the church was formed 1883, and conducted its activities in a wooden building before it was gutted in a fire. The church is actively involved in community activities and is one of the primary places of worship in the city.
Thorough refurbishments of the Glencairn Garden have made it an attractive venue to hold classes, workshops, concerts and community activities. Spread over 11 acres, this green space boasts well-manicured lawns, Japanese Bridges, tier fountains, rest rooms, walking trails, pleasant walkways and designated play areas for the kids. Nature enthusiasts will be fascinated by the hardwood and pine trees that stand majestically around the park area.
The Withers Building stands sternly as a historical building complex on the Winthrop University Campus. It is also famously referred as the Winthrop Training School or the W.T.S. Initially, the construction was undertaken in 1891, and further additions were made from 1912 through 1913. The site finely exemplifies the Gothic Revival style of architecture and is registered on the National Register of Historic Places.
Located on the Catawba Indian Reservation, the center preserves the heritage of the Catawba culture and offers a wide variety of programs by appointment that include dancing and drumming demonstrations and storytelling. Native American books, literature, and arts and crafts including the distinctive Catawba pottery are available in the onsite craft store. Tours are available.
Created as a memorial to the seventh president of the United States, Andrew Jackson, who spent his earlier years in this rugged pioneer area; this 360-acre park reflects the period between 1750 and 1781 and includes a replica of an 18th century schoolhouse, a fishing lake, campground, two one-mile nature trails, an amphitheater, two picnic shelters, and a museum that displays Jackson's papers, a loom, spinning wheel, and furnishings from the Jackson era.
The Northwestern High School is one of the most prestigious educational institutions in the city of Rock Hill, and every parent dreams of sending his child here. Opened in 1972, it has been providing a quality education to the townsfolk since decades now. Only the best faculty have been hired to ensure that the learning process is consummate and equally focused on athletics and extra-curricular activities.
A state-of-the-art, award-winning recreational complex that lies on 68 beautiful acres and includes a control tower surrounded by five softball fields, five multipurpose fields for soccer and football, picnic and playground areas, and over one mile of bicycle and walking trails.
Restored 1862 Church now open as a Cultural Arts Center, cemetery dates to early 1800s. A historic site owned by Lancaster County Society for Historical Preservation.
Built by Robert W. Gill, this historic house was later purchased in 1888 by Colonel Leroy Springs and was the birthplace of Elliott White Springs, a noted author and World War I flying ace. The house is now home to the Lancaster County Council of the Arts and is available to rent for special events.