Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
1750 Boston Post Road
Old Saybrook, CT 06475
Phone: (860) 399-7973
Fax: (860) 399-7387
Arts & Museums
Opened in September 2009, Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center (also known as "The Kate") is the Shoreline's premier entertainment venue, hosting stand-up comedy, theatrical performances, live music and lectures throughout the year. The facility is housed in what used to be Old Saybrook's historic City Hall (built in 1910) and is named for the Academy Award-winning local actress, Katharine Hepburn, who resided in the town until her death in 2003. The theater features 250 seats (with unobstructed views) and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of The Kate are available from June to September.
Located in the serene and lush area of Connecticut is this private art college, Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts. Here, the 200-odd students are offered degrees in painting, sculpture and illustration. The academy is popular for its stance on the importance of the study of nature and the figure which is amply seen with focus on the tradition of representational art. The college is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. A degree from this esteemed institution will gear you to gain an entry into the coveted art world. Varied exhibitions and events like talks and art sales too take place. Check the website for further details.
The Florence Griswold Museum spawned from the home of Florence Griswold, whose residence was the center of the Lyme Art Colony. The colony of American Impressionists used this home as their base as it was a boarding house for the region's budding artist community. Today, the house has been restored to how it appeared in 1910 and is one of the region's best-loved museums. Don't forget to stop by the gift shop for books on local art and images of Long Island Sound.
The Deacon John Grave House has been the home of seven generations of the Grave family. In 1983, the Deacon John Grave Foundation was founded to avoid demolition of this wooden frame house. Currently a museum, it hosts interesting events throughout the year. Check website for details.
The Thomas Lee House was constructed in 1660 is a currently a historic house museum. It was incorporated in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
The Children's Museum of Southeastern Connecticut is located close to Mystic in the nearby town of Niantic. This local favorite is a great place to take the kids on a rainy summer afternoon or during the weekend for an educational, yet fun-filled outing. Friday evenings, the museum has free admission thanks to Electric Boat. Don't forget to check out their website for upcoming events and special coupons available for download.
Cozily housed in Greenport's former railway station, the East End Seaport Museum has many historical relics and antiques, all documenting Long Island's rich maritime history. Inside, you will find a model replica of the USS Ohio, displays documenting the local fishing industry, Fresnel lenses from a lighthouse (in extraodinarily good condition) and a gift shop with a host of maritime-related gifts. The museum is open seasonally so check the website for updated opening hours.
Long Island and its rich communities have a lot of thanks to give to the railroads, especially since they helped bring many of its people and goods to the island in its early days of settlement. The Museum is charted by the New York State Department of Education and was organized in 1990 to preserve and restore the history and artifacts associated with the Long Island Railroad system.
Thomas Griswold House Museum was the former home of its namesake and his family from 1774 to 1958. This historic Colonial saltbox style structure is located on a scenic stretch and was bought by the Guilford Keeping Society in 1958. Decorated with early 19th-century period furniture that also features many items from the last owners inventory, the museum also features vintage clothing and photos. Explore the blacksmith shop and the museum shop to get more than a glimpse of the early Puritan settlement. The house was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
The Henry Whitfield House is a historical landmark that was built way back in 1639. This historical house is now the Henry Whitfield State Museum that comes under the purview of Connecticut Historical Society.
The Hyland House Museum is a historic red wooden frame structure in Guilford and was most likely built during the end of the 17th Century or the early years of the 18th Century. Though there are disagreements to its actual construction time frame, its main frame was erected in the 1600s by George Hyland. It was the residence of the Hyland-Parmelee family till it was bought by George Wildman in the 19th Century. In 1916, the Dorothy Whitfield Historic Society acquired the building and restored it as a living museum. Renovated by Norman Isham, it opened in 1918 to the public. Get a glimpse of the Colonial era through its period artifacts and furniture. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Custer Obseravtory is an astronomical obseravtory and operated by Custer Institute.The institute houses three sliding roof obsercatories. It has aquired all telescopes of all sizes and descriptions. It as begun a new research project to search for new extra solar planets.Every Saturday evening, Custer Observatory invites general public for guided tours of the heavens.