530 Main St.
New Paltz, NY 12561
Phone: (845) 255-6200
Fax: (845) 255-2319
530 Main St., New Paltz, NY, US, 12561
- Phone: (845) 255-6200
- Fax: (845) 255-2319
The Elting Memorial Library that serves as a public library features a huge collection of 'house books' that consists of the history of the historical structures within the village. Formerly known as the New Paltz Free Library, this library was made up of stone. It also includes of programs that include speakers, reading nights, free movies, etc.
Huguenot Street is the site of a number of stone houses built in the late 17th Century by French Huguenots who settled there after escaping persecution in France. The settlers arrived in 1678 and lived on nearly 40,000 acres (16,187 hectares) of property purchased from the local Indian tribes. Today, you can tour the original stone houses or even sign yourself or the kids up for a two-week summer program about archeology and the arts.
The James J. McCann Recreation Center and Strength and Conditioning Center is truly an innovative venture of the Marist College. This state-of-the-art facility provides support, training and equipments for student athletes; dance studio, field house, tennis courts, gymnasium and many other services are on offer here. No efforts are spared in ensuring that the athletes get nothing but the best of fitness facilities. For complete details about this center, check their website.
America's only express train serving destinations nationwide.
The Parish of the Holy Comforter is a grand church made of Bluestone in the Gothic Revival style of architecture. Established in 1860, it has gone through a lot of modifications. However, it still continues to function as an active church. The mesmerizing architecture of the church tells a lot about its history and the bygone era it belongs to. Masses are celebrated by the church on a regular basis.
Designed by Gerald Foster this post office, one of five in the Dutchess County, adopts a Colonial Revival style of architecture. Franklin Roosevelt had personally taken interest in this building and even laid its cornerstone in 1937. Taking two years, to complete, the post office was open for use in 1939. Voted by Smithsonian Institution amongst ten most beautiful post offices in state, the building also features artworks by WPA artists are based on local history.
The Clearwater sails the Hudson River for environmental educational programs and riverfront festivals.
Garfield Place Historic District is located in Poughkeepsie, New York, United States. This 20-acre (8.1-hectare) neighborhood is dominated by the Victorian style of architecture with charming homs that are some of the most exclusive residence in town. This residential area got added to the National Register of Historic Places in the year 1972.
The esteemed First Presbyterian Church at Poughkeepsie in Dutchess County, New York is a monumental church site. It was constructed in 1905 and occupies tremendous historic importance. The site is a magnificent model of the Romanesque style of architecture. The site was placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
In around 1810, the Christian Fellowship of Lattingtown Baptist Church was built at Lattingtown, Ulster County in New York. This church further paved its way to gain position of a historic church building. It hosts fellowship services and invites the masses to worship together. The structure of the church is a rare heavy timber frame with two stories and purlin roof frames. Post its renovation in the 19th Century, an assortment of Gothic-inspired elements have been added. There are events and services scheduled for the fellowship. Detailed information regarding the missions, schedules and in-depth history can be availed through their official website.
Mohonk Preserve offers over 100 miles of carriage roads and trails for hiking, running, mountain biking, horseback riding, and cross-country skiing.
Established between the period from 1830 to 1901, the Historic District of Vanderbilt Lane comprises of many contributing buildings and sites. The oldest amongst these dates back to 1830, while most others were built in the the 1900s. The estate came under ownership of Frederick Vanderbilt belonging to a wealthy, prominent family of Hyde Park. The Vanderbilt property also featured a coach house where the family raised thorough-bred horses. After his death in 1938, the entire estate was donated to the Federal Government by a member of the Vanderbilt family.