Econo Lodge Airport
232 S. Dupont Hwy.
New Castle, DE 19720
Phone: (302) 322-4500
Fax: (302) 322-9612
232 S. Dupont Hwy. Rt. 13 & 40 split, New Castle, DE, US, 19720
- Phone: (302) 322-4500
- Fax: (302) 322-9612
A small ticket office that occupied several places before being placed near Battery Park in 1950. The railroad is pre-Civil War era and was pulled by the steam locomotive Deleware.
This 18th-century mansion is a majestic sight of excellent Georgian architecture. With a tag of rich history, Amstel House is a must watch in the city. Call ahead for details.
Catering to the 250 Episcopalians or so, the Immanuel Episcopal Church on the Green is the only one in the New Castle region. Calm surroundings, quaint interiors and spiritual atmosphere make the church one of the must visit attractions when in the city.
The Read House and Garden is a 14,000 square-feet mansion with twenty two rooms, thus, being the largest mansion built in the state of Delaware. The mansion was built in the early 19th Century and depicts the luxuriant life of aristocrats in Delaware in that period. One will also notice cutting edge technology that was being used back then in their kitchen such as hot-air roasting ovens and steam tables. The garden is full of rare and exotic plants and trees. The Read House and Garden is a must visit to know the local culture as well. To know more about this venue, do visit their website.
Built in 1750, the Hale-Byrnes House is a historic structure located at the edge of Highway 7 and Highway 4. The house is known for the council that was held by George Washington during the Battle of Cooch's Bridge. The house is now open as a museum for visitors to get acquainted with the history of the place.
The Finns Point National Cemetery is situated in Pennsville Township and is managed by Washington Crossing National Cemetery. Around 1863, the land that was developed with an intention to raise a battery, however Confederate prisoners who died during their imprisonment were buried here. With nearly 2,502 prisoners buried here, it was transformed into a burial site. In 1875, it was given the designation of national cemetery. Today, the cemetery features Union memorial, Confederate Monument and graves of prisoners of Fort Delaware.
Built between 1846 to 1868, Fort Delaware was part of the harbor defense of the Delaware and is located in the Pea Patch Island. This massive pentagonal fortress with a moat is mainly made up of granite, brick, gneiss rock and cement. Three Endicott Period gun batteries were built inside which was later called Battery Torbert. During the Civil War it was used as the Union's prisoner of war camp with captives from the South and North as well. Escape was difficult for these prisoners as it was surrounded by water with no means of transport. It was also a garrison for a brief period. Today it is a museum and park and is open to the public from June to August on every Wednesday through Sunday. Though it is open for its paranormal adventures in October for a few days. Participate in the living history activities and discover the similarities as you time travel. The Prison Camp Trail offers great opportunities for those who love hiking. The island is great for wading bird watching as well.
Finn Point’s Rear Range Light is a monumental site constructed in 1876. It is mainly situated in the Pennsville Township, Salem County in New Jersey. Built on a 0.4-acre (0.16-hectare) cover, it is a 115-foot (35-meter) tall iron tower. Steeped in immense history, the light was automated in 1939 and discontinued in 1951. At present, it is usually open on the third Sunday of every month from April to October. From 12:00p to 4:00p, a visit can be ensured. The historically-significant lighthouse was added on to the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 1978.
Encompassing 288-acre (117 hectares), Fort Delaware State Park is located on Pea Patch Island in Delaware. Built in 1951 , it was used as a prison, especially for soldiers and people that were captured during the Battle of Gettysburg. To visit this historic site, you need to take a ferry ride either from Delaware City or Fort Mott State Park. You can also spend a day here and enjoy a family picnic as it also facilities like picnic tables, grills and drink machines.
Used as a POW camp during the Civil War.
Scene of Battle of Cooch's Bridge, September 3, 1777 the only Revolutionary War battle fought in Delaware. Tradition tells that the new 13 flag, the Stars and Stripes, was unfurled in this battle.
Enjoy rides on authentic antique trains. There is also a visitor's center, giftshop, and snack bar.