1420 N. Main Street
Marion, VA 24354
Phone: (276) 783-6031
Fax: (276) 783-3190
This overlook allow viewers the opportunity to see where around 2,000 Confederate troops held off some 5,000 attacking Union troops on Sunday, October 2, 1864. Walk in the original trenches where soldiers fought and died. Read the Virginia Civil War Trail Interpretive panel providing information on this October 1864 military engagement.
The Emory and Henry College is a private college that is built upon 331 acres of land. Known as the oldest institute in the Southwest Virginia, the college believed in increasing in excellence and to be a community that fulfills the potential of every student. The college every year conducts almost 100 concerts, lectures, theaters, dance performance, films, etc. It also offers hikes, camping, etc. with trails.
Passing through national forest and private land, this 16-mile stretch showcases mountain vistas, historic farm homesteads, and tree-lined forest lanes through all four seasons.
The 5,609 acres that comprise this area are some of the most remote in the Jefferson National Forest. Topography is rugged and steep and there are no improved roads to the wilderness boundary. The Appalachian Trail borders the southern edge of the area and provides hiker access. Roaring Fork Creek, which crosses the area, is a native trout stream.
Situated on a scenic byway, this lovely 50 acre offers an array of recreational features on site for visitors to enjoy, such as a campground, miniature golf course, children's playground, numerous nature trails, and a trout stream.
A haven for herb gardeners and nature lovers alike, this property shares the farm with bear, deer, turkey, rabbits, and countless bird species, and they grow organic garlic and herbs for their line of products, including herbal vinegars and seasonings. The herbal bath product line contains a full line of soaps, bath gels, herbal salts, and soaks which cleanse the body and rejuvenate the soul.
At the half-way point of the Big Walker National Scenic Byway, a 100-foot tower at this lookout affords a spectacular view of patchwork farm valleys to the north and unspoiled mountain wilderness to the south. Facilities include a craft/gift shop and deli-style sandwich and ice cream shop where you can snack while overlooking panoramic splendor.
This historic house museum was the home of Wytheville's first resident physician, Dr. John Haller. The collection in the house includes period furnishings, personal mementos, medical records and supplies from the 1800's, and a small museum of local artifacts. There is also an herb garden with plants typically grown in the 19th century on the property.