908 Washington Street
Manitowoc, WI 54220
Phone: (920) 682-8271
Fax: (920) 682-1020
Arts & Museums
The Sanderling Nature Center at the Kohler-Andrae State Park is a monumental site. It features exhibits that pertain to the park's history, its inhabitant plants and animals and history of the surrounding region. The Friends of Kohler-Andrae State Park ensure that the center's displays are frequently updated. For details, check website.
Established in 1956, the National Railroad Museum welcomes close to 75,000 visitors every year. The space can be hired for private, business and social events, while field trips, nature walks, lectures, interactive sessions and workshops are all part of the superlative educational program. The artifacts include over 5000 reports, records, maps, old uniforms, clothing, negatives, photographs, tools and more.
The Masonic Temple was constructed in Appleton in 1923 and currently the building now houses the History Museum at the Castle. The museum exhibits chronicle the Fox River Valley history since the 1840s. And, owing to its historic importance, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Hearthstone Historic House Museum was formerly a home that came into prominence owing to the fact that it was the first-ever house to be lit up by using hydroelectricity. This landmark was also included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, and is now open as a museum.
Paine Art Center and Gardens is located in a remarkable estate and is a versatile museum for inspirational learning. Comprising of the beautiful Paine Mansion and gardens, it is not only a historical site but a treasure trove of arts and antique furnishings which are indeed culturally educational. Although the Paines never lived here, the beautifully decorated house and extensively landscaped gardens were dedicated solely for artistic purposes. The different galleries highlight French Barbizon and American artworks, delicate china and silverware, intricate woodwork and more. There are rotating exhibits as well throughout the year. Their Family Discovery Gallery is a bilateral center for families with workshops and various projects.
The Port Washington Light Station was a former lighthouse located in Port Washington, Wisconsin. First constructed in 1848 and reconstructed in 1860, the lighthouse was deactivated in 1903. It is currently run as a museum and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.