1990 Riverside Dr
Macon, GA 31201
Phone: (478) 746-6221
Fax: (478) 745-0548
Set in a serene landscape, Rose Hill Cemetery attracts much attention in the area. Many notable personalities have been buried here and this is one of the oldest of the region. The place is well worth a visit.
One of the most outstanding collections of its type in the South, this historical reference library contains more than 23,000 volumes and over 17,000 microforms.
A National Historic Landmark, this magnificent 18,000 square foot Italian Renaissance Revival-style mansion, inspired by the palazzos of Florence and Rome, has been featured on A&E's "America's Castles." The home is filled with beautiful 18th century furnishings and features Italian Carrara marble fireplaces and a music room with a 30-foot clerestory ceiling. A museum gift shop is also on site. Hay House offers guided tours six days a week. Hay House is available for weddings, receptions, banquets and other occasions.
This restored mansion still retains most of its 19th Century glory. Visited by a large number of people everyday, this house is of high historical significance. Guided tours are offered.
Listed on National Register of Historic Homes, this Antebellum Greek Revival Home was the only house in Macon struck by a cannonball during a Federal attack in 1864. The home features authentic period furnishings, an original brick kitchen, and relics of Macon and the Civil War. A gift shop is also on site. Open for tours Mon though Sat. 10-5, last guided tour at 4:00.
Designed for Joseph N. Neel by the renowned architect Neel Reid, this four story English Tudor home contains very elaborated paneling, original fixtures, and furnishings and it became the headquarters of the Federated Garden Clubs of Macon in 1957. The house is available for guided tours, as well as corporate and private rentals.
The renowned First Presbyterian Church is a historically-significant church building in Macon. It also proudly stands as one of the tallest buildings in the state. Towering at 185 feet (56 meters), it is located on Mulberry Street in downtown. Varied ministries are formed and operated by the church for the community. It is also ideal for wedding ceremonies. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.
This beautiful co educational institute called the Mercer University is a historical institue. This institue features twelve colleges and schools that include education, music, professional studies like law, medicine, nursing, etc. The institue nrolls several students all year round and moulds them from being an amateur into being a professional. The site is a great center of education and learning.
The construction of Ford Hawkins was commissioned during President Thomas Jefferson's rule and completed in 1810. This domineering structure was once the headquarters of US Army and gained prominence as the economic and political center. It is named in the honor of Benjamin Hawkins, who was the General Superintendent of Indian Affairs. Over the time, wars ceased and peace treaties were signed with the Creek and European-American settlements and the usage of the fort declined. In 1933, government undertook excavations and artifacts and other objects were discovered. With each excavation there are more discoveries and excavations are still being carried on.
The first college in the world chartered to grant degrees to women in 1836, Wesleyan remains one of the nation's top liberal arts colleges. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the college today offers academic excellence in the liberal arts, fine arts, and professional fields of study.
Paintball field offering specials for church, groups, and company outings. There are four fields, which include woodsball, speedball and western town - great entertainment for the family or any group event.
This park called the Jarrell Plantation State Historic Park is a cotton plantation state park. Spread over 200 acres (81 hectares) of land, the site is said to be one of the greatest preserves of the middle class Southern plantations. Currently the park stands as a legendary site that educates the young generations and the visitors about farm site. Open to the public, the site features farmhouse, a sawmill, cotton gin, gristmill, shingle mill, sugarcane press, barn, etc.