1201 Hawkeye Ave. SW
Le Mars, IA 51031
Phone: (712) 546-8800
Fax: (712) 546-8800
Named after William of Orange, you could be forgiven for thinking you are in Holland while in Orange City. Actually named Holland originally, the Tulip Festival is celebrated with great fervor each May for 3 days. Many of the buildings possess typically Dutch architectural elements. Today this city has still retained its small town vibe and continues to charm all visitors with its quaint cafe-bars, cobbled paths and leafy avenues.
Established in 1901 Mount Sinai Temple was one of the earliest places of worship for orthodox Jews in the city. The beautiful structure was built in the Prairie School style of architecture, and was expanded to accommodate the growing congregation. A significant and steady decline of the Jewish populace in the later years led to the congregation no longer operating from the facility. The synagogue is nonetheless, a beautiful piece of the city's history.
The Episcopalian congregation of Sioux City was formed in 1859. This Romanesque Revival structure was built in 1892, replacing the humble, small frame church that was used as a place for worship. Featuring a square-topped tower, St. Thomas Episcopal Church was designed by John M. Poorbaugh. Following a fire in 1922, that damaged he church, it underwent major restoration in 1951. The church belongs to the Episcopal Diocese of Iowa.
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Church was built in 1890 in late Gothic Revival style of architecture. The church was initially constructed using wood and then it was renovated using bricks and the spires were covered in wooden shingles. Prisoners from World War 1 have carved the Gothic style altar in the church.
Dating back to the 1920s era, the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox is the foremost Greek Orthodox church. Placed in the National Register of Historic Places, this church is one of the important landmark included in the Sacred History Tour of the city.
The St. Boniface Catholic Church is a beautifully designed church that dates back to the 1900s era. This historical church was also included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1998. It continues to strive for the betterment of its community and conduct religious services for its parishioners. For more details, check website.