12310 Winchester Road, SW
Lavale, MD 21502
Phone: (301) 729-6700
Fax: (301) 729-6706
12310 Winchester Road, SW, Lavale, MD, US, 21502
- Phone: (301) 729-6700
- Fax: (301) 729-6706
La Vale Tollgate House is a historic structure built in 1835. Constructed in a simple polygonal design, it is made out of bricks. It was first such building to be made for the purpose of collecting tolls. The building still stands in its place and is an attraction on the long US National Highway 40.
This Chesapeake & Ohio landmark tunnel cuts through 3,118 feet of rock, making it a major engineering feat. A towpath, park, and picnic facilities are on-site.
The first federally funded highway in the United States, was re-routed in 1832 through the Narrows, a 1,000-foot natural gap between Wills and Haystack mountains.
On North Chase Street, you'll come across an area with a range of similarly styled buildings known as the Greene Street Historic District. These buildings were built keeping the Victorian architectural style in mind. Out of 45 buildings, 37 are for residential purposes.
Gordon - Roberts House stands today as a beautiful structure, much admired for its vintage interiors and Victorian style of architecture. Named after the two families who resided here, this former abode is colossal and has a regal ambiance that leaves one in awe. From the idyllic chandeliers, the chic furniture to the quaint paintings, the place will have you hooked on. Today, it is buzzing with many community events like dinners, exhibits, celebration of special days and so on.
Victorian house with period and collection rooms used to develop exhibitions, programs, and events which relate to the history and traditions of the County and its peoples.
Victorian house that is a respository for hundreds of items of local and national significance. Open Tuesday thru Saturday, 11am-4pm. Sunday from 1:30-4pm(May-October)
The architecturally well laid out Emmanuel Episcopal Church is at the forefront for presenting religious art works of exceptional beauty. The church found its beginning in 1755 on the surface of Fort Cumberland. Known for its classical style of architecture, the church building is vibrantly beautiful, showcasing a medieval charm and the interiors reflect a kind of solidarity and peace. Known particularly for featuring stained glass works, intricate floor and pews designing along with the famous Emmanuel cross, the church is certainly an impressive piece of attraction. Check website for more details.
Set in the scenic locales of the Riverside Park, this 17th-century house is of historic relevance. The house served as the operational headquarters of none other than George Washington during two most important wars.
Ample of recreational activities and various entertainment options put together is Canal Place. Visitor's delight, the place has something for each and everyone. Primarily a heritage area, it has been adapted into an entertainment venue while retaining the true heritage.
A 3,200-foot exhibit center in Western Maryland Station which tells the story of the C&O Canal in Cumberland. Exhibits on boat building, the coal industry, and the area as a transportation crossroad are featured.
Local history and genealogical resources covering Western Maryland.