2007 Highway 71 North
Jackson, MN 56143
Phone: (507) 847-3110
Fax: (507) 847-3110
This grand Colonial/Georgian Revival style house was built by Wallace Dow in 1890 and was over the decades, the home of three families - the Daytons, Smallwoods, and Cashels. The beautiful curved front porch and small wraparound back porch lend more charm to this already magnificent structure. But the George D. Dayton House lost its lustre after it was converted into a nursing home by Ruth Cashel for 50 years. It was bought by Historic Worthington Inc. in 2002 and restored the house to its former glory. Today this historic landmark is used for private events, tours and overnight stays.
The construction of the renowned Faribault County Courthouse was completed in December 1892. Built on a lavish scale, with the perfect architectural aesthetics, it was constructed on a mammoth budget of USD70,000. It was predominantly built by utilizing kasota limestone, sand derived from the Blue Earth River bottoms, and clay tile for the roof. The foremost material used is the red bricks, seen over the elevated basement level. The seven-story tower at the corner is a distinctive feature.
Des Moines River is roughly 525 miles (845 kilometers) long and was named after the city of Des Moines. A tributary of the Mississippi River, the Des Moines is the largest river in the state of Iowa. Various Native American tribes once used this area for agricultural purposes including the Otoe, Dakota and Meskwaki tribes. The river was used throughout the 19th Century for commercial transportation until the railroads were built in the 1860's.
Founded in 1877, the St. Adrian Catholic Church is a parish of a handful families residing in Adrian. The current building that stands was established in 1900. The red color and the Romanesque style of architecture are captivating. Several renovations and modifications have been done to previous buildings. It went from being a wooden structure to a massive building today. The St. Adrian Catholic Church now forms a part of the four parish group with Church of St. Kilian.
A branch of the Plum Creek Library System, the Adrian Branch Library is a one-room library with a collection of over 10,000 items.