3604 McMasters Ave.
Hannibal, MO 63401
Phone: (573) 221-0422
Fax: (573) 221-0696
3604 McMasters Ave., Hannibal, MO, US, 63401
- Phone: (573) 221-0422
- Fax: (573) 221-0696
Cameron Cave, Missouri's newest show cave, offers you a different and exciting underground adventure. You will see the cave nearly as it was when first discovered. The tour lasts one-and-one-forth hours and several visitors on the tour will get to carry a lantern.
During Mark Twain's last visit to Hannibal in 1902, he addressed 300 members of Hannibal society from the magnificent stairway of Rockcliffe, then celebrated as one of the finest river estates in America. Rockcliffe's 30 rooms are now beautifully restored. Rockcliffe Mansion is now also on the National Historic Register.
The home of Laura Hawkins, Mark Twain's childhood sweetheart, who was implemented into Twain's writings as "Becky Thatcher", Tom Sawyer's sweetheart. Recently aquired by the Mark Twain Home Foundation, this home is open to the public at no charge. The gift shop on the first floor has a variety of gifts from the kitchen to the library to the Christmas room.
Mark Twain's father, John Marshall Clemens, presided here in the 1840's as justice of the peace. The courtroom provides the setting for the trial of Muff Potter in Tom Sawyer. In the 1940's, the building stood empty and was to be razed. Warner Brothers movie studios came to its rescue by purchasing the building and funding its repairs.
Located on the banks of the Mississippi River directly across from Mark Twain Cave, they offer a full service restaurant, specialty shopping featuring Missouri wines, nostalgic items, and souvenirs, as well as a sweet shop with fudge, candies and carmel corn made fresh daily in our kitchen.
The highly-recognized John Wood Mansion was constructed between 1835 and 1838, by the 12th Governor of Illinois, John Woods. Following the eminent Greek Revival style of architecture, the structure is a splendid building and carries immense historic significance. The house is accessible for civic viewing and public tours from the months of April to October, each year. While December marks for specific candle light tours for the visitors, educational tours are availed for the third and fourth grade students in the nearby schools. Exquisite decor coupled with fine chimneys and splendid Doric columns, the site promises a delightful view.
Built by an early Quincy physician and leading abolitionist this two-story brick house was an underground railroad site from 1835-1836. Tours are available.
The Villa Kathrine, also known as "The Castle", is the only example of Mediterranean architecture on the Mississippi River. Once a private home, it is now owned by the Quincy Park District and run by the Friends of the Castle. It is also Quincy's Tourist Information Center. Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 1-4 p.m. on Sundays. The Villa Kathrine is available for rental for parties and weddings.
The Ernest M. Wood Office and Studio is a beautiful example of the Prairie style. Made up of wood and the the detailed elements that reflect the Prairie style in terms of the geometrical designs, the house that is built on less than one acre of land is absolutely delightful and worth a visit. This home was also registered as one of the National Historic Places.
In 1861, a small plot within Woodland Cemetery began to be used for burials, which has since evolved into a cemetery in its own right - Quincy National Cemetery. This small cemetery is known for its artillery monuments, two of which flank the walkway, while the other two can be found at the back of the cemetery. Quincy National Cemetery can be visited any time other than Federal holidays.
The Robert W. Gardner House is an ancient structure which was established in 1875. The building is made with the Second Empire style of architecture and was used by Gardner as his residence. The beautiful red exteriors and calm interiors give the structure a feel of the bygone era.