6021 Francis Scott Key Drive
Frederick, MD 21704
Phone: (301) 698-0555
Fax: (301) 620-7453
6021 Francis Scott Key Drive, Frederick, MD, US, 21704
- Phone: (301) 698-0555
- Fax: (301) 620-7453
Considered one of the most beautiful and distinguished burial grounds in the eastern section of the country, Mount Olivet Cemetery, open from dawn to dusk, contains the graves of Francis Scott Key, Barbara Fritchie, former Governor Thomas Johnson, and over 800 Confederate soldiers.
Originally built to accommodate two battalions of soldiers, these barracks soon became a repository for mercenaries fighting for England. The site is listed with the National and State Registry of Historic Sites and it has been used as a Revolutionary War prison, staging point for Lewis and Clarke expedition, State Armory in 1812, Civil War general hospital, and First Maryland School for the Deaf.
Interprets life in the early 19th century for middling families of the Frederick area, Maryland slavery and the life and property of Roger Brooke Taney, a Frederick lawyer who later served as the fifth Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court. The site, includes the house, detached kitchen, root cellar, smokehouse and slaves
The C. Burr Artz Public Library is part of the Frederick County Public Library system. The Maryland Room, located on the second floor, is a non-circulating, local history research library featuring a collection of primary and secondary sources. Materials collected include documents on Maryland's economic, social, political, cultural, and religious history, the genealogy of Maryland natives, and the Civil War.
Located at the Carroll Creek Park, the Barbara Fritchie House boasts of historical relevance. Owned by a lady called Barbara Fritchie, the house is rumored with various mysteries in context of its existence. It houses an exhibition of the remains of any form of evidence that talks about its history. However, it can only be accessed with permission as it has been under the debate of permanent closure.
The current structure, which served as a hospital during the Civil War, was completed in 1854, having replaced a log building built in 1746. A bell in the west tower was cast in England and shipped here in 1771. Evangelical Lutheran Church has served the people of the Frederick area since 1738.
This Tourist Information Center is located on East Church Street. Being an encyclopedia on the county, it takes charge of guiding not just tourists but also locals. Whether you want to just get acquainted with the region or are looking for some lodging option, the knowledgeable staff at this office is always ready with information. So come here to find out about the Catoctin Mountain Park, the National Museum of Civil War Medicine, the shopping areas, the restaurants or any other landmarks.
"One of the prettiest courthouse squares in America," this Victorian-style building is surrounded by a courtyard which is the location of what is thought to be the first public uprising against the monarchist rule in 1765, when local citizens assembled and burned effigies regarding the Stamp Act. The courtyard features busts of Maryland's first governor, Thomas Johnson and Supreme Court Justice, Roger B. Taney.
St. John's is the burial site of United States Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, Maryland's 29th Governor Enoch Louis Lowe, Father John McElroy, the founder of Boston College, and John Boisneuf, one of those who condemned Marie Antoinette, as well as soldiers, politicians, and early Jesuits. This cemetery is open from dawn to dusk.
Located in Everedy Square/Shab Row, Frederick Cellars is a downtown winery featuring tastings, tours, small plates, live music and rental opportunities.
The Frederick Armory is located in Frederick, Maryland. It was established for the Maryland National Guard in the early 1900s. John B. Hamme and Lloyd C. Culler were the architects of this building that finds inspiration in medieval fortifications. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1985.
Built on the highest elevation in Frederick City, Red Hill, this historic mansion has hosted many popular visitors. It was the site of General Meade's takeover of the Army of the Potomac immediately before the Battle of Gettysburg. The mansion is now home to St. John's Catholic Prep, Frederick's Roman Catholic high school.