320 Cabiness Road
Forsyth, GA 31029
Phone: (478) 994-5603
Fax: (478) 994-9103
This park called the Jarrell Plantation State Historic Park is a cotton plantation state park. Spread over 200 acres (81 hectares) of land, the site is said to be one of the greatest preserves of the middle class Southern plantations. Currently the park stands as a legendary site that educates the young generations and the visitors about farm site. Open to the public, the site features farmhouse, a sawmill, cotton gin, gristmill, shingle mill, sugarcane press, barn, etc.
A women's institute, Wesleyan College offers programs in liberal arts. This private academic center remains the oldest representative of the famed Seven Sisters of the South universities.
North Macon Park offers a well-laid out field for baseball. The park is also popular with fitness enthusiasts with its walking and jogging pathways.
Enjoy fishing, family picnics, bonfire nights and much more at Bickley's Lake. This artificial lake was started by the Bickley brothers and has grown to be a favorite outdoor spot for many in Thomaston. What started out as a lake for fishing, is today surrounded by bars, a dance floor, pavilion with picnic tables and other recreational means. You can come come here to play volley ball, enjoy some beer or food with friends or family or simply to admire the beauty of the lake. You can also rent this place for parties or private events. So certainly an ideal place to venture into the great outdoors.
Set in a serene landscape, Rose Hill Cemetery attracts much attention in the area. Many notable personalities have been buried here and this is one of the oldest of the region. The place is well worth a visit.
Located on Washington Avenue, the Washington Memorial Library dates back to 1916 and was established by Ellen Washington Bellamy. The building features Washington family's coat of arms and there are memorials dedicated to the family, in the library. It has a good collection of books and historical documents, provides WiFi facility, computer study rooms and reading rooms.
This beautiful co educational institute called the Mercer University is a historical institue. This institue features twelve colleges and schools that include education, music, professional studies like law, medicine, nursing, etc. The institue nrolls several students all year round and moulds them from being an amateur into being a professional. The site is a great center of education and learning.
This restored mansion still retains most of its 19th Century glory. Visited by a large number of people everyday, this house is of high historical significance. Guided tours are offered.
The Cannonball House remains a fine specimen of Greek Revival style of architecture. Now a museum, it houses some ancient artifacts including old furnishings and sororities.
This non-profit organization rehabilitates all sorts of wild and domestic animals that have met with misfortune - from horses, birds, pigs and sheep to bears, monkeys, cougars, and wolves. It also brings together children and animals so they both can learn to provide unconditional love, service and a future of hope to each other. Visitors are welcome at the animal center throughout the week for guided educational tours. However, inclement weather or special events may alter tour times, so it's best to call ahead to confirm. Although tours are free, donations are appreciated to help the center continue its important work.
The St. Joseph Catholic Church was constructed in 1892 in the Victorian Gothic style. Its twin towers are among the tallest in the city. This church is mentioned in the National Register of Historic Places and features a pipe organ with 1000 pipes as well as 60 magnificent stained glass displays.
The renowned First Presbyterian Church is a historically-significant church building in Macon. It also proudly stands as one of the tallest buildings in the state. Towering at 185 feet (56 meters), it is located on Mulberry Street in downtown. Varied ministries are formed and operated by the church for the community. It is also ideal for wedding ceremonies. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.