871 County Rd. 64
Elmira, NY 14903-9785
Phone: (607) 739-2000
Fax: (607) 739-3552
Zimmerman House, more well known as the Zim House is a historic home situated in Horseheads, New York. This Queen Anne style house was built in 1890 and features beautiful woodwork and a wide porch area. It has been the residence of famous cartoonist Eugene Zimmerman. Today, the house is maintained by the Horseheads Historical Society who gives tours of the house that contains exhibits of some of Zimmerman's cartoons and creations. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
The Hanover Square Historic District is a neighborhood in Horseheads, New York that has similar looking Romanesque Revival and Colonial Revival style buildings. Built in the mid 1800s, after a fire destroyed a large part of the town, the brick structures feature elaborate corbels. The site was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and is now the central business district of the town.
Teal Park is located at Horseheads, New York. This public park was donated in the year 1807 C.E and a bandstand was also constructed in the year 1910 C.E by Eugene Zimmerman who was a resident of this town and was also a political cartoonist. This park was listed on the National Registrar of Historic Places on October 07, 1983.
The Elmira Heights Village Hall spread over 0.2 acres (0.081 hectares) of land is a historically significant structure and plays a great role in the government. This beautiful architectural hall is an example of the Chateauesque style and was listed on the National Register of historic places in 1982.
Located in the city of Elmira, the Woodlawn National Cemetery is a cemetery that features the burials of over 3000 dead prisoners who lost their lives due to owercowding, inadequate shelter and disease that spread over. The cemetery grounds is also a place of burials of the people who lost their lives in the railroad accident. The most famous person burried in this cemetery is Mark Twain.
Celebrated John W. Jones House is located on Davis Street, Elmira, New York. Initially a house to the prominent John W. Jones, it operates as a history museum. The museum is a great representation of the African American people who settled in the Southern Tier of New York City and supported the underground railroad. Constructed in 1868, the house museum carries immense monumental value and has also been listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
The Elmira College Old Campus is a part of the Elmira College. Known as a historic part of this college, it was formerly known as the Elmira Collegiate Seminary. This college was the first college to offer degree programs to the women. The beautiful surrounding of this college campus is absolutely a delight to be at or to at least visit this place once.
Prominent for it's architecture the Elmira Coca-Cola Bottling Company Works is modern style structure. The detailed work of the coco cola bottle on the wall above the front door is beautifully carved. This art modern structure is no longer used as a bottling plant but the beauty of this building is yet worth the visit.
Visit the study where author Mark Twain created his famous work, Huckleberry Finn.
An architectural masterpiece, this eclectic church is a gorgeous design of limestone and brick. Built between 1874 and 1876, the Park Church is famous for more than just its notable architecture, it is also noteworthy for its congregation of abolitionists and humanitarians.
The Chemung County Courthouse Complex encompasses four historical buildings, namely the the District Attorney's and Treasurer's Building, the County Clerk's Office, the Court House Annex and the actual Courthouse. All of these buildings were built between 1836 and 1899 in the Greek Revival and Federal style of architecture. The magnificent buildings were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
This Victorian mansion features six decorated rooms, beautifully adorned with a variety of classic Christmas decorations and gifts.