George W. Rogers Company Shot Tower
Commercial Street and River Front
Dubuque, IA 52002
The Shot Tower by George W. Rogers Company is the last of its kind in the country and has been a city landmark for a long time now. Built in 1856, it is made up of stone and soft red brick and towers the riverfront of the Mississippi River by 120 feet (36.58 meters). It changed many hands and suffered damage by an arson in 1911. It faced many years of neglect and finally was restored in 2011 for the future generations to learn about its heritage. It is also widely known as the Dubuque Shot Tower and has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1976.