387 Ben Franklin Hwy.
Douglassville, PA 19518
Phone: (610) 385-3016
Fax: (610) 385-3188
387 Ben Franklin Hwy. US 422, Douglassville, PA, US, 19518
- Phone: (610) 385-3016
- Fax: (610) 385-3188
The birthplace of great American frontiersman Daniel Boone in 1734, this historic state site interprets the life of early English and German settlers in eastern Berks County. The site includes the Boone House, a blacksmith shop, bar, sawmill, the Bertolet Log House, a visitor's center, nature trails, and a picnic area.
The George Douglass House or George Douglass Mansion was built in 1763 and was the home and store of colonial entrepreneur George Douglass and his family. This two and half story Georgian structure is one of the fine examples of this architecture. The Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County acquired the property in 1988 and has been restoring the historic landmark ever since.
Situated along the banks of the Manatawny Creek on a 90-acre farm in Amityville, Manatawny Creek Winery is a family winery that produces a wide variety of wine styles. The tasting room is open Friday through Sunday.
The Hopewell Furnace National Historic Site is a fine example of a typical iron plantation from the 1770s era. Here, you can explore the various historical buildings or drop-in at the Visitor Center for a briefing on this site. For details, check website.
Spread over less than one acre of land, this residential home called the Henry Fisher House is a home that belonged to the fisher family. Designed in Georgian, Germanic and Federal styles of architectures the house was beautiful in it's appearance with the greenary around the place. This fresh environment home was also listed on the registers of National Historic Places in 1973.
Situated on only four acres of the original 1,000-acre plantation, Pottsgrove Manor is a perfect example of the early Georgian architecture popular with the wealthy English during the mid-18th century. Built for ironmaster and founder of Pottstown, John Potts, Pottsgrove Manor has been restored to recreate the era of when the Potts family lived here.
Pottstown Public Library offers materials, programs, and services to people of all ages in the Pottstown area. Programs include children's story times, book clubs, information & entertainment programs, public Internet and word processing access, adult book clubs and informational programs, computer training/assistance and online resources. Passport processing and notary services are available by appointment.
A museum rich with history, the Bahr Mill Complex was built in 1897 to house Jacob Bahr’s woodworking and grit mill business. Today, the mill has been completely restored to give visitors a chance to view the historical equipment used by the family. Don’t forget to visit the museum shop on your way out and pick up some very cool souvenirs like the miniature hay rake exactly like the rake used by Lawrence Bahr. The mill is open only on summer weekends from 11:00a to 4:00p, and all other times by appointment.
Located four miles west of Route 100 off Route 23 in the village of Knauertown, the 538-acre Warwick County Park features a portion of the French Creek. A children
The Lindbergh Viaduct is a striking concrete arch bridge. It is situated in Reading, in Berks County, Philadelphia. Constructed in 1927, it was built with a lavish budget of USD470,000. It is constructed on a comprehensive horizontal bend and forms the backdrop of the Pendora Park. It is 866 feet (264 meters) long and has as many as 13 spans. There are five central spans, each 83 feet (25 meters) in length along with eight secondary spans. This historic viaduct has undergone refurbishment twice and stands listed on the National register of Historic Places since June 22, 1988.
A great historic remain of the Berks County, the Joanna Furnace Complex is a stunning iron industry. Also featuring the associated structures of the furnace, the district as a whole was listed on the register of National Historic Places in the year 1980. Spread over 13.8 acres (5.6 hectares) of land, this place is open to the visitors to visit the furnace and the structures that have been preserved.
As the name suggests, the Warwick Furnace Farms are the remnants of an ancient furnace and a farm house. Dating back to 1860s, it was an iron furnace; cannon balls that were casted here were used by the Revolutionary Army. It was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.