1507 N Tibbs Rd
Dalton, GA 30720
Phone: (706) 226-9579
Fax: (706) 277-0859
The UGA Cohutta Fisheries Center is a 65-acre research and extension facility operated by the Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources Located in Northwest Georgia, the facility operates 36 ponds and 5 raceways with various demonstration and research projects including experimental koi breeding, pond production of channel catfish, and recirculating sturgeon aquaculture. An aquarium is open to the public. The facility staff host numerous school groups, and non-profit organizations including 4-H, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts for educational tours and activities focusing on conservation, aquatic ecology, and the importance of sustainable aquaculture.
Built and maintained by Dalton Utilities, this 200 acre water quality and wildlife habitat is home to a wide variety of wildlife and features well marked trails where visitors can observe native flora and fauna.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this historic and beautifully restored house was the home of Dalton's first mayor, postmaster, and religious leader, Ainsworth Emery Blunt. The house is filled with period pieces and pictures from the Blunt family and tours are available by appointment only.
The Grove Level Baptist Church is a nice big church with the homely, personal and comforting feel of a smaller church. Everyone from the pastors to the staff are genuinely warm, helpful and friendly making you feel cared for and loved. There are a variety of activities for the young and the old, it doesn't matter your age group or if you're single or a couple, everyone here is happy and accepted. Also there is plenty of parking space available, no more Sunday rush for the parking lot.
The Prater's Mill is a historic structure in Varnell, Georgia. Built in 1859, it includes a cotton gin, grist mill, a barn and a store. The place was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 and today it is a venue for country fairs and is also open for weddings and other functions and events.
One of the chapters of the American Civil War - the Battle of Ringgold Gap - has been preserved at the Ringgold Gap Battlefield, which, in 2011, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A statue in the park commemorates Major General Patrick Cleburne, who was responsible for the Army of Tennessee's safe journey through Ringgold Gap.
Dubbed as the Showplace of the Cherokee Nation, the Chief Vann House Historic Site is one of the oldest buildings in the state of Georgia. This Federal style brick mansion was built in 1803 for James Vann, who was eventually driven away by federal troops, after which the house changed ownership over seventeen times. In 1951, the Georgia Historical Society began a restoration project for the house. Today, the house features a museum next to it with details about the history of the region and the significance of James Vann and his mansion. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969.
Part of the 106 million acre National Wilderness Preservation System, this 36,977 acre tract of National Forest land was federally designed as wilderness in 1975 and is located in Murray, Gilmer, and Fannin Counties in Georgia, as well as in Polk County, Tennessee. Activities such as hiking, camping, and horseback riding through the beautiful mountains, forests, and rivers of the wilderness are available.
Called the "Showplace of the Cherokee Nation," this two story classic brick Georgian style mansion was built by Chief James Vann and includes beautiful Cherokee hand carvings, many fine antiques, and an intricately carved "floating staircase" that is one of Georgia's earliest surviving examples of cantilevered construction.
Located in the heart of Chatsworth, Murray County Courthouse is an essential component in the judiciary functioning of the city and the county. Established in 1916, it was designed in the Classical Revival architecture. The front facade features columns influenced by the Doric order of ancient Greek architecture. Offices of various county officials are located in the Murray County Courthouse.
The last of the council grounds of the Cherokee Nation before their removal along the Trail of Tears are located at this historical park. It also features a sacred council spring that produces over 400,000 gallons of sapphire-blue water a day and an interpretive center that contains a theater, exhibits, and artifacts. Numerous recreational facilities include a 500 seat amphitheater, a two mile loop trail with a magnificent limestone overlook tower, a picnic pavilion, and picnic areas with grills and tables.
Fort Mountain is a part of the scenic Cohutta Mountains range and is nestled in the vast Chattahoochee National Forest. The name is derived from the peak that has ruins of a peculiar stone formation. A theory that this formation was initially a fort did make rounds but was soon contradicted. Tourists can enjoy the scenic view and indulge in adventurous activities like mountain biking, hiking, lake swimming and horse riding. It also features campsites and cottages.