Econo Lodge South
4344 Milestrip Rd.
Buffalo, NY 14219
Phone: (716) 825-7530
Fax: (716) 825-7530
4344 Milestrip Rd., Buffalo, NY, US, 14219
- Phone: (716) 825-7530
- Fax: (716) 825-7530
Arts & Museums
If you love Lucy, this museum is for you. This small museum chronicles the lives of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz. Lucy grew up in nearby Celoron, just a few miles west of Jamestown. Some of the items displayed include the Arnaz family portrait, which once hung in their Beverly Hills home, along with costumes, photos, and other memorabilia. Audio and video clips from I Love Lucy and Life With Lucy are shown continuously. The gift shop has a large selection of Lucy items; a larger gift shop is located down the street in the Lucy-Desi Center. The nearby Desilu Playhouse has exact replicas of studio sets from I Love Lucy, including the Ricardo’s New York City apartment. - Christine A. Smyczynski
A tribute to the vision of Father Nelson H. Baker, this church was the second in the U.S. to receive a basilica designation in 1926. Located in Lackawanna, the basilica's copper-topped dome and twin bell towers can be seen for miles. The church was built reminiscent of the 15th-16th century Renaissance-style, featuring a French Baroque interior. There is a gift shop where you can buy books, crucifixes, mugs and Father Baker's most popular statue of Our Lady of Victory.
For decades, equipment used by firefighters from the early 1800s gathered rust in musty rooms until it was decided in 1981 that these brave men should have more significance than just dusty memories. Included is an 1831 hand pump, an parade carriage from 1893, and an early 20th-century street-corner fire alarm. Throughout the museum visitors will see what it takes to make it as a firefighter and the obstacles they face on the job. One display honors a group of firefighters who lost their lives when a propane tank exploded. The museum is run by volunteers with no admission fee and it is a great place to take the kids as well as anyone interested in what real heroes do.
At one point in time, Buffalo was a leading industrial center and home to several automobile manufacturers. This 20,000 square-foot museum has a special focus on Buffalo's own, though often maligned Pierce Arrow. Most of the vehicles are from the personal collection of museum founder James Sandoro; other vehicles in the museum are on loan from various collectors from all over the country. The Buffalo-made Thomas Flyer is also on display, along with various automotive memorabilia including photos, paintings, household items, factory items, signs and more about this industrious city. Hours are seasonal. Call or check website for details.
This waterfront museum, located across from First Niagara Center, salutes all branches of the United States Armed Forces, with special emphasis on veterans from Western New York. Visitors can tour a World War II submarine, a destroyer and a guided missile cruiser. There are military artifacts such as tanks, aircraft and memorabilia, including an interesting collection from the Polish Armed Forces.
This 1815 federal-style building was once the office of the Holland Land Company, which transacted land purchases when western New York was being settled. Today this National Historic Landmark building, which has 20-inch thick fireproof walls, houses exhibits which focus on Genesee County history. Permanent exhibits include a military display with artifacts from all major conflicts, including the Civil War. A Victorian parlor displays household items from the late 1800s. There is also an exhibit containing artifacts and history about the Seneca Indians; the Tonawanda Reservation is a short distance away from the museum. There is also a display on the land office itself, with many items belonging to Joseph Ellicott, who was the resident land office agent. - Christine A. Smyczynski
Iron Island is not some piece of land you'll find in the middle of Lake Erie, this 'island' is actually in the Lovejoy Neighborhood of Buffalo. The oddly named museum is run under the auspices of the Iron Island Preservation Society of Lovejoy and the society's aim is to preserve the historical record of the area. Inside the museum, guests will find memorabilia, artistic renderings of buildings and photos of war veterans who lived in the area to an authentic, wooden altar from an 1896 church that once stood on the site. One other side note, it is said that the building is haunted by a ghost named 'Edgar', a war veteran who never had his remains buried.
When this railway terminal was built in 1929 west of Buffalo's Lovejoy Neighborhood, the Great Depression was about to hit. Despite its art deco majesty, the station never caught on with travelers. It began a slow decline, halted temporarily only by the World War II business boom. The Central Terminal Restoration Corporation took it over in 1997, and the station is re-discovering its splendor, symbolized by the re-lighting of its 9-foot diameter clocks. A photographic history of the station can be found at the Iron Island Museum.
This Buffalo landmark, designed by well-known architects Jeremiah O'Rourke, William M. Aiken, and James Knox Taylor and modeled after the Flemish Gothic tradition, opened in 1901 as Buffalo's Main Post Office. The four story main court, with skylights, flows into spectacular arched galleries which make up the bulk of the building's space. It became the city campus of Erie Community College in 1975 after extensive renovation. Nearby attractions include Dunn Tire Park and Buffalo Place.
This French-revival style building, sitting on land once owned by Joseph Ellicott, designer of Buffalo, was the largest office building in the world upon its opening in 1896. Featured is a central atrium with a glass roof, marble stairways, and a beautiful mosaic floor. The elevators on both the Main and Washington Street sides are framed in polished brass. Designed by Charles Atwood of Chicago, the final cost of construction was USD3.5 million. Nearby attractions include Buffalo Place and the Theater District.
This society in downtown Buffalo close to Dunn Tire Park and Erie Basin Marina is dedicated to the preservation of the area's rapidly fading maritime past. Its holdings include hundreds of thousands of documents, photos, oral histories and artifacts. The museum features a library, shop, offices, research labs, photo dark room and display area. The society has loaned its materials to local institutions including the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society. Their showcases change frequently as they are always acquiring new materials.
Originally constructed in 1849, St Paul's is not only one of Buffalo's most beautiful churches, it's one of the oldest buildings in the whole city. After a fire in 1888, the Cathedral was rebuilt, and is still providing weekly services to its congregation. The peaceful Cathedral Park setting is also a favorite spot for downtown workers seeking a shady spot to eat their lunches.