1135 Sumter Hwy
Bishopville, SC 29010
Phone: (803) 428-3200
Fax: (803) 428-3200
Constructed in 1908, the Lee County Courthouse is situated in Bishopville and was built six years following the incorporation of the county. It was planned that there be a Neo-Classical design replete with ethnic stone and yellow brick construction that is a result of the Roman pattern both in case of the law and architecture. It is historically-significant for being the only courthouse the county has ever had. Its grounds are encompassed with a mountain cannon, a Civil War memorial and a flagpole.
Located on the bluffs of Black Creek, these gardens are on the site of the early 19th century plantation of Captain Thomas Edwards Hart for whom Hartsville is named and were developed in the early 1930's by Mrs. David R. Coker. Over 30 acres of trails wind their way through the native and imported plants of these gardens all the way down to Black Creek.
Spread across 30 acres (12 hectares), the Kalmia Gardens is situated in Hartsville, South Carolina. The gardens were set up by Mrs. David R. Coker who made trails and planted ornamental flora. The early-19th-century plantation features azalea plants and camellias along with an array of native species that enhance the beauty of the garden. It is a renowned birding spot that guarantees a pleasing experience for bird watchers. Also, the Joslin Education Center is accessible to school groups for trips to the gardens.
The Thomas E. Hart House is located at Hartsville, South Carolina. This historic house was built in 1817 C.E and had a Early Republic and I-House styles of architecture. This 30 acre (12 hectare) property was added to the National Registrar of Historic Places on May 3, 1991.
See where the Yankees camped among the Rebels at this house that was taken over by Sherman's Army during the Civil War and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The house is filled with period furnishings and offers Civil War reenactments and living history demonstrations on the first Sunday of every month from February through December.
The Play Zone is an affordable, indoor playground and party place located in the Florence area. They specialize in kid's birthday parties. They have a ball pit and two towers with slides. The Play Zone provides hours of fun for children.
A great example of federal architecture influenced by a vernacular cottage style, this cottage is the oldest building downtown and is the only known structure from John Hart's plantation. The house is completely furnished with period furniture and features an open house on the first Sunday of every month from February to December with costumed docents.
You'll get a glimpse of Colonial village life during the Revolutionary War period at this historic site that includes two circa-1800 log houses and the authentically reconstructed Kershaw-Cornwallis House. Trails are on site that lead visitors to fortifications, picnic facilities, and a powder magazine. A gift shop is also on site that offers a variety of local crafts and period reproductions. Self guided tours are available daily, and guided tours are available with reservations.
This is the battle site of the Revolutionary War where General Nathanael Greene and his men provided a strong resistance to Lord Cornwallis' British troops, which eventually led to the British evacuation of Camden.
The heroes of several wars, notable past residents, and early settlers are buried in these adjoining hallowed grounds that are still in use today.
Beautiful historic home that was built by Bond Conway, the first African-American in Camden on record to buy his freedom. Features of the house include original heart pine floor boards, original roof beams, and exquisite woodwork and a mantelpiece in the central room. Group tours are available with prior arrangements.
The Historic Camden Revolutionary War Site is a historic site that features the historic events occured here. The site is best known for the Southern theater of the American Revolutionary War. The site also features the grounds that were used in the early wars and the land is spread over 107 acres. Several structure s present here maintain the artifacts and war materials that were used during the wars.